Sunday, April 14, 2013

My Personal Stages of Happiness

Step One: Dissatisfaction

How can you achieve happiness without first knowing pain and suffering?  Okay, those emotions may be a little strong for how I felt about our "office" set up in the weird nook next to the fireplace.
I had painted the wall to the nook green, and it had previously been home to just bookcases and at one awkward time, our television (awkward since there is a sliding glass door directly to the right of this picture and someone would have to walk directly in front of the T.V. viewer to get out that way).  The television also had to be way too far from the couch to accommodate the door.  Anywho, this was barely functional (it always felt really cramped) and didn't really provide much in way of desk space.  These are just two Target bookcases squunched together (technical term) with an old computer desk's pull out keyboard tray screwed to the underside of a shelf.  We lived with this for about a year, but it was starting to grate at my aesthetic nerves.

Second Step: Inspiration
First step was to remove everything and repaint the wall white. It somehow made the tiny nook look quite a bit bigger, which was actually surprising.  Next step was to thrift store shop for a suitable desk.  I considered Ikea stuff, but it was all too...generic and sterile for this area.  I love Ikea, but sometimes thrifted things have more personality.  I found an old (1990- not actually old) Bombay company desk at a thrift store and a headboard. Cut off the bottom section of the headboard and I got this lovely image.

Third Step: Drudgery
Somehow it fit the space perfectly.  I painted everything white (trying out Benjamin Moore's Advance paint-like it so far) and attached some leftover bead board to the back of the headboard (the old back had seen better days).  
Step Four: Shopping
I found some really handsome knobs at Hobby Lobby (on sale for 50% off, don't ya know).
A thrifted mirror later...
Step Five: Art-Making
I needed quite a bit of art to fill the space above the desk.  I laid it all out on the ground first to find the best arrangement.  Something asymmetrical but not too wonkified.  I had this Ikea frame that had white corners and natural wood everywhere else.  I said I didn't like the look of the light wood color and my lovely husband suggested I paint it a color.  I found this cute print at Ikea and color inspiration struck.  Taped off the white corners and sprayed away! (Sorry for the terrible photo, the corner can actually be quite dark...haven't gotten my perfect lamp yet)
Next was a Valentine's Day card my husband got me from Anthropologie.  Best one I've ever gotten. I just used a spray-painted thrifted frame and some craft paper as a mat.
Next, a cool page from last year's calendar in another spray-painted frame.
Finally, I saw this crafty technique last time I was in France, in a town called Dinan.  This artist had rolled paper and then placed them into different arrangements.  The image really stuck with me and I couldn't wait to give it a try.  I used Modge Podge and a lollipop stem to roll each piece of craft paper.  Then I used more Modge Podge to stick them into a chevron pattern.  It was time-consuming, but I think well worth it!
Step Six: Sublime Happiness
Put it all together with a few fun containers, an awesome Dali-esque clock, and you get a totally different office area!

More gratuitous pictures.

So there you have it, for about $250 or so, a totally revamped office space, a.k.a. happiness personified.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment