Monday, June 4, 2012

Mirror, mirror on the $10 dresser

I was thrift store shopping in St. Augustine with my mother and mother-in-law a while ago and found this picture frame for fifty cents.  I've been in a tray phase and someone pointed this out to me as having an interesting filigree-like edge. I thought I could easily make this a tray!  

First I applied thin, even coats of mirror spray paint on the opposite side of the glass.  Read the directions on the can for more tips on good coverage. I found a spray paint color in my collection that tied into the material I'm using for the curtains in my craft room (pics will come later, promise), and a couple of even, thin coats later, I had this...


Add a couple happy birds ( a couple of which seem to be intrigued by their reflection in the now-mirror) and you have a fun little dresser-top tray!  This is currently residing on a $10 yard sale dresser that I have yet to complete refinishing.  More to come later!

Total cost: 50 cents for tray
mirror and spray paint (already owned)
fun birds (birthday present)
=$0.50!

If you had to buy the paint, it would probably go up to $10 or so, but then you would have materials for a bunch of other things!  Any fun picture frame/tray transformations? 

No comments:

Post a Comment