Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Love you, man!

I was perusing Pinterest and found this little framed delight...
I love its simplicity and shadow frames are so fun and dimensional.  I put it on my "Art to DIY" board for a later date.  Well, that day has come!  I appreciated the simplicity of the design of the inspiration but wanted a little more pizzazz, if you will.  I also wanted to show off my Silhouette cutter to my mom when she was visiting.  Here is my pile of supplies: a shadow frame with no glass cause it was on the ground at some point and I stepped right into it and broke it (oh yeah.  I'm smooth), some Scrabble tiles from an antique store, and a pack of scrapbooking papers.  

First step was to find two complementary papers, which resulted in an orange dotted paper and a orange-themed floral.  I used my Silhouette to cut a square out of the dotted paper for the background (honestly, it is worth its weight in gold to me just because it does that easily) and a letter collage from the Silhouette store for on top.  Initially, I had some trouble because the design was so intricate and my mat was so sticky, but a little online research and some t-shirt dabbing (to get some fibers on the mat and reduce the tackiness), and it came off perfectly!  I used spray adhesive so I didn't have to worry about any bubbling, excess, or not enough glue and layered the two together.  I positioned my tiles first (to see what placement I liked) and then used E-6000 adhesive to adhere them.  Put all together again and voila!  

I gave it to my husband for a little reminder of how awesome I think he is, and he gave me something for my birthday that completes the look!  Meet Flopsy and Mopsy!

He is buying into my love of white ceramic animals (I'll do a run-down of all of those sometime later).  Aren't they cute together?


No comments:

Post a Comment