Tuesday, May 15, 2012

To bee or not to bee

Sorry for the Hamlet/insect pun.  I'm an English teacher; I can't really help myself.  

This is my new favorite decorative thing, and my only regret is that I do not have a ton of wall space with which to create and use more of these.  This was my inspiration.  
I searched my favorite local antique store for an old dictionary that had the font size that I wanted to no avail.  But I did spot an old collection of Shakespearean plays which my friend happened to kindly buy for me.  (Thanks Danni!)  As an ex-librarian and self-professed book hoarder (I'm getting better, I swear), this was a tough step for me, but I took my x-acto knife and cut out some pages to feed into my printer.
I found this cool blog that posts a vintage image every weekday and scanned a bunch of images to find the ones I wanted.  I found some others using Google images that seemed to be ( I say "seemed" since copyright law is complicated business) okay to use.  Here is one collection.

If you can't tell from the shadowed picture (sorry about that! figuring out my new camera still), I have a shell on the left, a crab in the middle, and a fish on the right.  

I made another to give my mom for Mother's day (with each picture representing a member of our family), but forgot to get a picture of it before sending it home with her.  This is one of those instant gratification projects that I love. All you need is a book, a knife, a printer, and a dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment