Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Who knew cutting things could be so much fun?

Okay, that title sounds a little macabre.  I only meant that cutting things with my new Silhouette Cameo is so fun!  Even knowing that this thing exists in my house gives me immeasurable pleasure.





I used it first to create these river rocks for my AP students.


Yes, I am giving them rocks as a good luck gesture for the test.  You'd have to hear my spiel about the symbolism, I guess.  I used the Cameo to cut out the vinyl small seal script figure.  It's the ancient Chinese character for literature and it's pretty simple for the silhouette, but would have been a pain for me to attempt with an x-acto knife.


I had the image scanned to a PDF, and I copied the image into the Silhouette software.  I used the trace function to outline the shape (amazing!) and cut away!  I did them in a variety of sizes according to the varying rock sizes, and the smallest one is pretty darn tiny!  I wrote the course, year, and signed the back of each so they can keep them as a memento of the class if they want.  I still have the mini-beanie baby my AP Calculus teacher gave us before the test.  That's also the test I got a 5 on; coincidence? Anyway, I'm very happy with the way they turned out and hope my students will look at them and feel serene and confident during the test.


Every make any memento for an occasion?  Have a silhouette cameo story/project to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment