Wednesday, April 25, 2012

O True Apothecary!


As an English teacher, I cannot ever resist a good Shakespeare quote opportunity.  Romeo's death scene? Ring a bell from many moons ago? "Thy drugs are quick.  Thus with a kiss I die."  Gets me a little choked up even now.  Anyway!  Apothecary jars have really been everywhere lately it seems and you can apparently put anything in them.
Eggs and candy 

Miniature gourds

Woods-themed objects
Office supplies

Some ornaments and pine cones for a winter theme!
All via Pinterest

I couldn't resist getting in on the action.  It start when I found this guy at a flea market for $5. I just filled him with dollar-store decorative marbles and put him on our mantel next to Girard (our French white ceramic panther).



That was not enough to satisfy.  I had read somewhere about using E-6000 glue (heavy duty) to affix glass candlesticks to containers to create your own apothecary jars.  I found a covered glass container at the dollar store, some candlesticks at Goodwill, a little time on my hands (often hard to come by) and voila!


It's out in the glassroom on the shelf over the keyboard.  I am going for gray and white with yellow accents and pops of teal out there as a color scheme.  For my filler, I just took some dried beans (that I never end up cooking, what can I say? I'm a canned bean kind of girl) and spray painted them a happy yellow color!  It adds a little pop of color in that corner.

I then found another cute little container at Goodwill (it's hit or miss, but I love stopping in just in case there is something awesome that day) and another candlestick. You may wonder what I have against candlesticks in their original form, but I'm just not into tapered candles for some reason.  Pillars are what tickles my romantic light fancy.  A little glue later, and I have this...

He's a little guy, but I like the cut glass look.  I can almost imagine some Jordan almonds in him or something, although that seems like an odd choice for me.  I have yet to fill him with something since so far I just like how he looks and the bit of sparkle he adds to that shelf.  

What do you think?  I've expanded my gluing interest to other things, but I'll share that next time. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment