Monday, April 2, 2012

Ottoman Completed!

So here is the completion to the ottoman project started here.

I had a bit of excess fabric I wanted to tack down on the underside, but it would cover my button holes, so I proceeded to do those next.  I made the buttons using one of the button kits from Joann (seriously, I should buy stock in that company).  You find the button kits in the upholstery section (normally near all the decorative fringes and trims).  I also picked up a pack of upholstery needles (the pack with the 12" long needle included, my husband about had a heart attack).  After a bit of trial and error (probably more error, isn't that always the case?), I figured out how to attach my buttons.

First I stuck the longest needle (did I mention 12"?!) through the MDF and out the front backwards! Yes, I pushed it through so I got the eye end facing out the front. I made sure to make my button thread long enough to not disappear when I threaded it through.

I put the button on the thread then threaded the eye of the needle with my button thread (this is a waxed heavy-duty thread they sell by the button-making kit).
Pulled the needle back through and voila!  Button attached!  I used a washer to tie off my thread on the back with as much tension as I wanted to make the button sink into the fluff a bit. You can see the washers in the second picture.  That is also where I just used ye olde staple gun again to tack the extra material to the underside.  I might cover the bottom with another piece of material sometime, but you really don't ever see it so I can procrastinate that.  


And here is the final reveal!  It is living in my glassroom (more on that later) with a mirrored tray on it.  In the future, I would probably round the corners of it a bit, but overall I really like it!

What do you think? Any small not-really construction projects lately that still make you very happy?  Do tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment