Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ottoman Empire (or...Hamlet maybe)

So I saw this ottoman on Joss & Main one day and felt inspired (and cheap).  In case you haven't discovered this little gem of a website, they are a members-only site that features different collections of household wares every day.  They normally have some bloggers and designers create collections (maybe once a week or so) and I find most of the styles to be crisp and appealing.  Some brands can be a little pricey, but I did get this little gem for my husband for Christmas last year.

He loves armadillos; what can I say?  Do you have an armadillo jockey in your house? Well, you should. He brings much joy. Anyway, I regard the pricier options wistfully, then Pin(terest) to my heart's desire, and decide to DIY what I love the most.  Hence this ottoman below...No, that is not the after.  That is the inspiration. The over $100 dollar original.  It hurts my feelings to spend that on something you mostly put your feet on; call me crazy.  

Picture from Joss and Main via Pinterest

So first I chose my measurements (26.5" by 21") had my loverly husband cut a leftover piece of MDF to size for me.  Then I attached these leg adapters to each corner.  I measured about 2 inches in from each side for stability.  I made a tiny pilot hole and then used my drill to attach them.


I then chose the locations for my buttons.  I looked at the original and did six total, off-setting them so it wasn't too grid-like.  You can see the holes somewhat in the second picture.  After that I used some E-6000 adhesive to attach a piece of 2-inch foam from Joann's and covered the whole thing in a layer of batting using my staple gun.

When I stood it up, I could see it needed a bit more puff for the look I wanted and to have the buttons look right to me, so I filled it with some polyester fiberfill (also from Joann).   Here is a midway stuffed shot.  I checked it throughout to make sure it looked decently even.

Concurrently, I was also spray painting the legs that I bought from Home Depot with some primer first (since they were raw wood and would soak up the more expensive colored paint) and then a few even, thin layers of Kona Brown Gloss (Rustoleum).  I let them cure for at least a day before attempting to use them.


Here is the piece all covered and stapled to high heaven. And here it is with the legs attached and the material arranged.  I staple the fabric once on each side to make sure the alignment is how I want it so I don't have to take out a million staples if I placed it poorly (been there, tossed that across the room, and then did my best Yosemite Sam impression as I pried out every last staple).






 Satisfied with my placement, I proceeded to staple the heck out of the bugger.  I leave my corners for last normally (since I find them to most annoying), but I give myself enough room to fiddle near them.  As every novice reupholsterer will tell you, you make corners just like you wrap a present.  Of course, what they don't tell you is that the "wrapping paper" is flexible, doesn't fold like paper, and can slip away at any moment.  But with due diligence, your corners will get wrapped. (Sorry for the blurriness below, I always end up trying to take pictures in my darkest room at night!)
I finally had to take a break at this point.  Monday I'll post the button threading and final reveal!


P.S. If you know me and want an invite to Joss and Main, just shoot me a comment and I will be glad to oblige.


No comments:

Post a Comment