Monday, June 24, 2013

Update a Little Furniture, Sit Down Tonight, Sit Down Tonight.

I've got a couple of furniture updates that happened over the summer (ahem...last summer) to share.  First, I went patrolling Craiglist for a low dresser with skinny legs (what can I say? I'm a legs girl).  Score one for the list of Craig!  The trip itself was a bit of a nightmare (let's just say a frog died and the Jacksonville boonies were visited late at night), but I'm glad we persevered.  This is it in its half-finished state.
 I sanded the everlovin' bejeezus out of the thing, and then stained the bottom and sides mahogany and painted the top white.  A couple of thin even coats of Acrylacq Safecoat (a no-voc sealer) and this sucker was done.
I captured that wild golf ball and am holding it captive.  Don't call PETA on me, please.
Next, I found a $20 chair at a local thrift store.  It swivels and rocks!  This stripe isn't even that bad if it wasn't so dirty and ratty.

A good reupholstering later with indoor/outdoor fabric and voila!  I got this done for about $250 which isn't so bad considering I got to pick the material, it has a ton of piping (yikes!), buttons, and only cost twenty smackaroos to begin with.  


I even had enough extra to make an ottoman, but that will have to wait for another day (since I haven't finished it yet).  My summer of fun continued with a church yard sale find for $10.


It was in pretty good shape again, just not my color.  See the legs?  Perfect stylistic match for the low dresser; don't know how I got so lucky.  Same MO as the other: clean, sand, stain, paint, and seal.  Here is the finished project.

That lamp is even semi-diyed since it didn't work and I rewired it.  Whew!  That was quite a bit of work now that I think about it (except the chair, that was easy...for me at least).    






No comments:

Post a Comment