Wednesday, June 19, 2013

We Interrupt Our Scheduled Program for a Relatively Unimportant Announcement

I have made the best Curried Cauliflower Soup of my life.  I'm posting this so I don't forget how to make it (it was totally spur of the moment, no recipe or anything) and so anyone who loves this kind of soup like I do can make it, too.


Ingredients:
2 onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3-4 ribs of celery, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
one head of cauliflower, chopped in bite-size pieces
Spices: [amounts of each are approximate since I just eyeball and never measure, I'd say add them to taste]
1 tsp. coriander (adds floral warmth)
1 tbs. mustard (adds bit of bite -very subtle)
1.5 tbs. garam masala (adds warmth with mix of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, etc.)
2-3 tbs. turmeric (adds subtle earthy flavor and all the color)
1.5 tbs. cumin (adds smokiness)
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of fire-roasted tomatoes
1 can of chickpeas
scant spoonful of sugar

1. Sautee the onions in some olive oil over high heat (I just did this in my big cast iron soup pot, one pot meal-woot!) with some salt for about 4-5 minutes until they begin to soften.  Add the chopped garlic and sautee another minute or two.
2. Add the carrots and celery and sautee for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add all the spices and cook with the vegetation for a bit to develop their flavors.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook down for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, sugar, and chickpeas.  Bring to a low simmer.
6. Add the cauliflower and simmer until it is tender.

Toppings:
Sriracha chili sauce (for my husband's since he likes heat)
Greek yogurt (all the tang of sour cream, but no fat and protein to boot!)
toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds toasted in dry pan with some salt)

You could always use vegetable broth or vegan chicken bouillon cubes to make this vegetarian, and do the same minus greek yogurt topper to make it vegan!

No comments:

Post a Comment