Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Chalk it up to Caprice: A Storage Container Upgrade

I have been known to frequent the Whole Foods bulk section, which touts a variety of fun self-serve ingredients that one ceremoniously puts into some beautiful plastic bags (to recycle later).  Normally, I would get some of my faves and then have these plastic bags languishing all over the counter (a space I can't afford to give up to anything superfluous).  I was perusing Michael's the other day (looking fruitlessly for a silicon loaf pan, where have they all gone?) and saw some cute containers with chalkboard fronts (too small and not airtight enough to be too useful).  I thought I could perform the same treatment on containers of my choice to house my dry goods!  
Smorgasbord of Containment
 I got three OXO modular POP containers at TJMaxx and then supplemented with some more containers from Bed Bath & Beyond (with coupons in hand, dontcha know?).  All were hand-washed and they were ready to go.  I got a  little sponge brush and a container of blackboard paint from ye olde Michael's and free handed some rectangles on the fronts.
Gettin' the cure
 I did three thin even coats with an hour in between and left them to cure for a full 24 hours before attacking them with chalk.
Labeled and in charge
 Always prime your chalkboard with chalk before trying to write on it.  Now my containers are filled, my counters are empty, and my whim is free to run wild!  Three cheers for impermanent labeling!  Hip hip Hooray!  Hip hip (fill in cheer here)! Hip hip (you know what to do)!
Airtight and all smiles

1 comment:

  1. I love that idea! I just bought a peel n' stick blackboard. It was from China; actually it looks like a roll of mactac but it works. lol.

    ReplyDelete