Monday, February 10, 2014

Reuse, Recycle, and Repurpose: Refashion Scrap Upgrade

So I've gone to acupuncture a couple times (love it!) and the lady uses an eye pillow to block out light and help me relax.  I decided I was in love and had to make my own.  I found a couple remnants from prior refashions and tested the material out.  
Remnants! 
 The Asian-style fabric from this post had the best weight and feel so I went with that one first.  I used an old bill envelope to act as my pattern for my eye pillow.
Repurpose and Recycle!
 I cut out the pieces, pinned the right sides together, and sewed all the way around, leaving a hole to turn the rectangle inside out.
Surprisingly straight stitching, the sewing muse must have been on my side
 The one the acupuncturist uses has flax seed and lavender, but I have arborio rice and lavender for mine.  Some of you may cringe at the idea of using a slightly more expensive type of rice in this, but I am past my risotto-making days (health stuff, right?) and it is what I had on hand, so it doesn't bother me.  For any future ones, I will just get some cheap long-grain rice.
Couple tablespoons lavender in a small bowl of rice.
 I filled the pillow about halfway full and sewed up the end with a cute little zigzag stitch.
I love love love this thing! I saw some posts online about putting it in the microwave to warm the bed, and it works like a charm!  I put it in for about one and a half minutes, and slip it in the bed where my feet go.  It is heavenly in these cold months, especially with hard floors.  When it cools down a bit (it's quite hot, so I wouldn't put it directly on skin or you'll burn yourself), it is also lovely around the neck or on the stomach.  It's also useful as an eye pillow!  I've used it a couple times for the meditation portion of a yoga session.  My husband is already clamoring for one, and I will definitely make some smaller matching ones to use as hand warmers during the next soccer season.  One fun way to reuse refashioning scraps!  


No comments:

Post a Comment