Monday, July 29, 2013

Hong Kong is Part of China: An Asian-Inspired Refashion

That title has to do with how geographically illiterate my husband and I are most of the time; it's sad (and it makes my Social Studies teacher father cringe).  Anywho, I found this dress for a dollah at the shop (after picking up a full price $4 one that was almost identical--always check the sale rack!).
Yikes!

Not bad, but it doesn't fit me very well in the hips (and you know, hips don't lie).  I've been jonesing to turn something into a jacket-esque piece so here we go! I looked at the front, and it had pockets (score!).

Pocket power!

But the pockets were fake (boo!). 

Opens to nowhere!

So I removed the pockets (thank you so much clothing makers for stitching the pocket directly and firmly into the side seam, definitely need those fake pockets reinforced), and pinned the hole in the seam from their removal.
Looks like a hungry shirt!
Sans pockets, I had no real reason to keep the front the front, so I turned the piece around!  I removed these cool buttons (to be used soon, I guarantee).  I think they look like coiled rope, which is very cool and nautical.


 I turned the piece around and removed the zipper to make my jacket edges.  

Free zipper!

The collar was a bit too high and floppy so I turned it under for a bit of a v-necked edge.  

Pinned and ready to party


Finished all the edges, gave it a hem, and voila!


This was perfect for a day at home cooking fajitas with homemade corn tortillas (my husband's new skill).  I might add a hook and eye closure at the top sometime (if I can steal one from something else).  Happy Jacket!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely refashion, and those buttons would look great on anything with jeans!

    ReplyDelete