Monday, November 11, 2013

Hungry? Make a Faux Pasta Carbonara! (...and a drink fashioned by my hubby!): A Classic Pasta Dish Refashion

Faux Pasta Carbonara

This amount makes 1 huge serving.  I have most of these things on hand at all times during the summer months (when my basil is growing outside). I was home alone for lunch, and this is one of my go-to dishes.  Hope you try it!

Ingredients:
onion
Canadian bacon
small handful strand pasta (I used thin spaghetti)
olive oil
eggs
parmesan (use the good stuff here)
fresh basil (sorry, can't use dried here)

Chop about an inch of an onion ( I used Vidalia) and 1 piece of Canadian bacon.  Sautee those in a bit of olive oil (medium heat) while you get your water boiling for your pasta (high heat).


When the water is at a rolling boil, add a healthy dose of salt to season your pasta and drop it, giving it a stir so it won't stick.

Once the onion is soft and the bacon is a tiny bit brown around the edges, turn the heat down to the low side of medium low.  Hold it here while you wait for your pasta to get al dente and scramble your egg mix.

I scramble two eggs and add about a tablespoon and a half of parmesan and some chopped fresh basil.  I season with a bare pinch of salt (cause of the parmesan you know) and some black pepper.  Keep some basil back to garnish.

When your pasta is done, toss it into the onion and bacon with about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.  Mix in the egg mixture and gently cook together (keep the heat low!)  until it forms a luscious saucy texture.  Serve it up with some more fresh basil.

I embarrassingly ate this whole plate of goodness, but I am deciding not to feel bad about it overall since it is way healthier than the inspiration dish.  You can do/add whatever you want to this.  Some fresh peas would actually be really good in it.  Give it a try sometime!


And then later.... Banana Breeze!

My husband came home from an annoying day with the phrase, "I need a drink," and proceeded to make this delicious concoction!  He has been elected the mixologist of the household.

1.5 ounces vanilla simple syrup (combine 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 1 Tbs vanilla bean paste and cook until sugar dissolves)
1 overripe frozen banana (you want it very banana-y...ripe ripe ripe)
5 ice cubes
2 ounces and a splash of spiced rum
2 ounces milk (we use skim, but any higher fat milk will just make this more luscious!)

Put it all in a blender and pulverize.  Sip freely and happily.  Yum!

I don't even like bananas that much and I love this drink that my hubby extraordinaire came up with (out of his head!).  [If you know him, you should be as impressed as I was.  He is not...as we say...culinarily inclined.]  So proud!  Give it a try!

Back with a clothing-related post tomorrow!  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment