Monday, November 18, 2013

The Dress is Wider than the Sky: A Too Big Dress Refashion

That line is originally talking about the brain (thank you Emily Dickinson), but it seemed appropriate in this moment.  This dress, which is a lovely Ann Taylor, makes me look oh so wide.  You just know those poufy sleeves bug me, too.  
"put them side by side,/The one the other will include/With ease, and you beside."
 I'm a fan of the black and white, though, so what to do with this?

Well, first thing is to remove the sleeves of course!  This wasn't any regular seam ripping sleeve removal though, not unless I wanted a teeny tiny strip of material keeping the dress up.  Time to bring in the fabric shears!
Sleeves be Gone! Now in a lovely Orange scent!
 I decided to leave a little flutter sleeve, and yes, I'm pretty sure I made that term up.
Like the wings of a butterfly
 The zipper was on the side, so I took this in from the back instead.  Took up the shoulders a smidge, finished the edges, and this is the result.

Black and white and red all over
I added some red accents in the shoes and lipstick before throwing on a sweater and wearing this to school. Now this is a wearable dress in my size!   Success is counted sweetest...
New back

No comments:

Post a Comment