Monday, August 5, 2013

Blue Wonder:An 80's Dress in a 40's Style Refashion

This one is a doozy.  And not one of those double-doozy cookie sandwiches (yum!).  This dress is ginormous on me with puffed sleeves.  The fabric, though, is uber cool and it has some cool pleating on top.  
Time to get started!
Where's Allison?
I started by removing the sleeves and along with them, these mini-shoulder pads used to add poof.
You are not needed here!
 Here are the two sleeves with poofs and those hanger strap things (why do you need those when the dress has sleeves?).
Bye bye sleevies!
 I may or may not have arranged them so they make two faces.
Meet Mrs. and Mr. Sleevies!
 With the sleeves taken care of, I needed to take it in a bit.  I put it on my dress form and pinned the sides near the bust, waist and hip to give me a line to follow for the new seam.
Mini wings! 
With the size fixed, the length was the next item on the agenda.  Slightly below the knee/mid-shin is pretty universally unflattering, so I was going to bring it up a bit.  This was also a good reason...
Burned spots!  Ack!
 I cut right above the burns and sewed a new hem.  Here is the final product!

Don't mind the huge head...odd perspective.
 I paired it with a pair of black flats and a homemade gold tassel necklace.

See the pleating? Cute!
My husband took my new dress and me (I know it sounds weird, but it's grammatically correct) to the movies to see The Wolverine.  
Can't rain on my Hugh Jackman parade!
 We followed up the action-packed flick based in Japan with some sushi! This dress is definitely becoming a staple in my closet!

1 comment:

  1. It is VERY cute!! I love seeing all your posts and wishing I was talented enough to do this! Keep it up and you'll have a custom tailored wardrobe in no time!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete