Monday, August 12, 2013

Rolling on the High Seas:A Nautical-Inspired Dress

I found this one at the shop on the dollar rack, and I can see why.  I thought the stripes were a bit nautical (always in season it seems), so I decided to give it a try!
Yikes buttons!  Yikes length!
First thing to address were the non-functioning buttons.  Yep, this dress doesn't even have a panel that necessitates those buttons!  It's just folded over!
Dastardly Dilapidated Buttons!
I took my handy dandy seam ripper and removed their souls! Or rather, I removed the buttons.

Buttons Be Gone!
The top fit me well, so the next thing to tackle was the length.  I chopped off a good 10 inches to bring it up to knee level (most flattering on me).  I hemmed that and did a little "Finished!" jig when I noticed something unfortunate .  When I removed the buttons, I had that fold on one side of the front, and there was a dart on the other side.  Asymmetry can be nice sometimes, but not on the front of a black skirt, ladies and gentlemen.  

Jig, Interrupted! :( 
To fix it, I measured the distance of each to the center of the dress and pinched and folded and darted to make it even.
Picture me darting around the room.  That's not what I did, it's just fun to picture.
I thought of those cool rope-looking buttons I took off the Asian-style jacket here and thought they would make a nice addition to the ensemble.  

Remember us?!
Here is the final result! I added my thrifted Ralph Lauren belt to highlight the red in the stripes.

Naughty-cal?
It's a bit hard to see, but I strung the rope beads on some plain silver chain and layered with a slightly chunkier chain for the whole "sea-going lots of rope and chains around" look.  I wore this to hang out with some Navy people (appropriate, no?), and we were introduced to the card game Cards Against Humanity.  It was hilariously funny and resulted in a good time overall.  Happy Sailing!

Ready for a night of hilarity!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I'll have to send you some pics of stuff I've been working on. :)

    ReplyDelete