Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Dye Job: Skirt to Dress Refashion

My mother-in-law gave me this skirt thinking I could do something with it.  And do something with it I did!  This was a contender for the wedding refashion, but lost to the muumuu.  As a skirt, it's at an unflattering length for me and it is too tight across the hips.  
Hippy!
The white and brown looked a little too country for me, so I thought it would be a good time to break out some dye! I used Rit Lemon Yellow (about half the container), mixed it with some salt (to make the color vivid) and boiling water to dissolve and threw it into my washing machine to do its thing.  I put the washer on the longest cycle (Bulky for mine) and use the hot water option.  After it finished, I put it through a short cold water cycle with some detergent to set the color and clean the washer a bit.  Easy peasy!
Dye kit!
I pulled the skirt up to use as a strapless dress and belted it.  Now the dress hits at a flattering knee-length and is a fun, summery color!
Glass room pic!

This dress served me well (pun intended) as we went to BB's on Hendrick's Avenue, our favorite place for a nice lunch to commemorate something.  In this case, we celebrated (lamented?) the beginning of school for me!  Happy schooling!

Matching the Florida sunshine!



1 comment:

  1. I would have never thought to make it into a dress. How pretty!

    ReplyDelete