Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Plus Size to Yes Size: A Patterned Dress Refashion

I know that many women are told to be wary of horizontal stripes.  Something like this dress may be the reason why.
Truly shudder worthy at this point
This was a lot of dress to tackle, but tackle it I did!

First thing to do was remove the sleeves.  It's a very busy pattern and I wanted to minimize the eye-boggling effect of it by removing as much as humanly possible.
Sleeves need not apply!
The next task was to make the tent dress fit.  I put in on my trusty, silent assistant and pinned at the bust, waist, and hips.
A slight breeze and this one might take off! Look at those wings!
Hint: When altering, take it in at the sides before shortening.  It can change the length and one would hate to suddenly be flashing more leg than desired!  I took off a good three inches of the bottom to bring it to knee length.  Luckily, it was a busy three inches, bringing the overall look down the crazy scale a few notches.
Luckily I've trained my scissors to cut by themselves #Sorcerer'sApprenticeStyle
I made a new hem (always iron and pin your hem to make it look flawless) and ran it through the machina.
Oh snap! You've been Latinized!
Here is the final product.  I added a wide black belt to break up the pattern even further.  I like how the sleeve removal left an almost cap sleeve rather than something sleeveless.  Add a dark green thrifted necklace and I was ready for school!  The pattern is certainly prominent, but I like the autumnal colors and fleur de lis motif throughout.  New work staple!
Making my husband awkwardly take pictures on the patio: Priceless.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! This would be really great wth a blazer on a cool day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! And your hubby must be pleased with your frugality! Love it.

    ReplyDelete