Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Maroon Revive: Moves with Swagger Homecoming Dress Refashion

I picked this up at the shop for a cool tenner.  You may be thinking it's not terrible the way it is.  
Maybe it's not so bad
Nope!  The thing doesn't fit, and it wouldn't stay on my shoulders if I spelled it Harry Potter-style.  It's also a bit boring.
Disappointment reigns supreme
What can I do to make this more unique?

First, I needed to remove the sleeves and odd little faux-bow from the back.
Steps One and Two Accompli
I took the dress in on the sides, but it was still a bit...gapey.  A quick couple of darts would take care of that.
Every day I'm dartin'lin (to tune of "Every Day I'm Shuffling" by LMFAO)
A quick cinch of the shoulders to improve the neck line a bit...
I actually tacked this with thread, not that safety pins aren't totally chic
I'll admit the next step was a bit radical.  This dress has a gauzy overlay, and I was reminded of a look I'd seen on an episode of Glee (not that I would admit to watching the show with any regularity, but I do watch it in fast forward on occasion).  Upon searching, I saw this idea of a long filmy skirt over a shorter skirt in a couple of places (here and here).  Most of these looks are for teenagers, however, and I do not quite fit in that category (nor would I ever want to again).  My look is a bit more demure, but along similar lines.  Here is the finished product!
Sorry about the lighting, night time pictures are rough
 So you can see that I shortened the underskirt, but kept the gauzy part long.  Once again, if this gets chosen, I will probably create some more prominent jewelry to break up the visual skin fest of the collar bone (that sounded much less creepy in my head).

I feel tired, oh so tired
With the end of the quarter and Homecoming week and my parents visiting all happening at once (polysyndeton, anyone?), this was a bit of a harried week, but fun as could be!  Now the time is upon us (or you rather) to vote for which of these dresses will get a custom piece of jewelry designed for it and worn to chaperone Homecoming 2013!

1 comment: