Wednesday, October 2, 2013

An Im-Mod-est Proposal : A Sweater to Cardigan Refashion

I picked up this lovely thing for a couple bucks at the shop.  I look quite a bit happier than I feel in this sweater.
Surfing or twisting...not sure which
I feel like this belongs in a cooler weather version of Beach Blanket Bingo.  
                                          
If you are looking at this at work and can't watch a video (or are allergic to 1960s beach movies), Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon essentially sing about the joys of being young and on the beach, all while pseudo-teenagers dance around them.  Good times. What can I do with this?


Here is a closeup of the material.  Its pluses are that it is shiny and gold (always fun); its minuses are that it is a bit scritchy (technical term) and definitely ill-fitting.  Time to open this guy up!
Squirrel and magpie approved.
I started by folding the sweater in half as exactly as possible and cutting the front all the way up.
Snip snip!
The collar at the top was a bit too much (and too constricting), so I carefully removed that also.
The all new Choke No More™

I finished all the edges and this is what I got!
Goldilocks (Goldifrocks?) would be proud
Of course this is a faux cardigan since I didn't want to tackle button holes.  I did, however, pick up some two-toned buttons to heighten the illusion even more.
One is silver and the other gold (to the tune of "Make New Friends")
I actually ended up wearing this outfit to a parent night at school, which is normally exhausting and a bit stressful, but here I am deciding to fake it 'til I make it.  At least I knew I was wearing something fun and glittery.
Gimme a Y! And look happy about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment