Monday, October 7, 2013

Seeing Red: A Plus Size Dress Refashion

I found this knit dress for about $4.  Pricey, I know.  I was attracted to it because of the red and the cute black button detail.  I was repulsed by it because of the boxy cut and long, droopy sleeves.  
Shocked at how unfortunate-looking this dress is
Where to start on this monstrosity?



 I started by performing the task I always begin with, getting rid of the parts of the dress that bug me the most.  In this case, it was the voluminous sleeves.
Sleeves Be Gone! (Yes, this may be my new catch phrase)
 I put the dress on my form (dress form, not my form) and pinned it to take in on the sides.  A quick zip through the machine, and I was ready to move on.... to ironing.
Always iron your new seams.  They will reward you.
 I finished the sleeve-holes and ended up with this!  I styled it in two different ways for Fall.  The first look is all buttoned up with a skinny black belt and knee-high boots.
For the colder months (if you are lucky enough to have those)
 To wear it to school in Florida where it is easily 90 degrees in October, I wore it like this.  I folded the collar down a bit, added a wide black belt, and wore it with a pair of short boots (booties? I'm not a pirate, so I can't tell).  I rocked this at school and got a slew of compliments!  Maybe it will get colder by December, and I can wear it the other way, too!  Two for one refashion!

Happy to go to work in a new outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment