Monday, September 9, 2013

Heraldry, I'm Home!: A Patterned Blouse Refashion

When I saw this at the shop, I thought of my friend Michelle who teaches British Literature at school and was known for her heraldry project.  I'm not sure what family this heralds from (get it?), but they are probably disappointed in the execution.
Frumpy and boxy
Here is a close-up of the fabric.  It has the shield and some Medieval-style writing.  The silky material is quite pleasant on the skin (too much information?) and the colors are nice and autumnal.
Vermilion and silver and gold! Oh my!
I did this refashion quite a while ago, so I didn't take many during pictures.  The reconstruction was pretty simple overall.  I first removed the sleeves (rip 'em off, rip 'em off, wa-a-a-y off!), and then cut a slit in the neck and made it into a v-shape.  When I was taking out the shoulder pads, I found some fun little bits of ruffled black material used to give even more puff to the sleeve!  I detached and reattached them to the tops of my new sleeveless top.

I also used a quick and easy pant alteration from a flared leg to a straight leg.
This is literally my fifth pair of black pants, time to fiddle wit it!
I just pressed the seams of the pants really really well and created a tailor's chalk line from the knee straight down.  I then sewed a new seam following the line and trimmed the edge.  You can see the lighter thread I used for visibility below.
Just like drawing in elementary school!
Here is the final ensemble!
Classic backyard shot
I paired the heraldry top and revamped pants with a thrifted gold necklace.  Another work staple!

Anybody else see a face in the necklace? I will call him Toby.

2 comments:

  1. Hi- this is Dana. One of your mom's former students from Harrison. I have no sewing ability or can even picture reshaping, cutting, etc any item of clothing, but we are AWESOME! I have enjoy searching through your blog and seeing your masterpieces! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the compliment! Glad to hear from a fellow Hoya!

      Delete