Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Show Me the Monet: A Dress Refashion Claude Would Be Proud Of

If you recall from this post, this Vera Wang dress was a contender for the wedding re-do.  It's definitely too big and terrifically sack-like overall.  It's got a whole lot of...stuff going on up top also.  
I'm sure my shape is in there somewhere
 How can I bring this Impressionistic canvas into the present?

Here is a close-up of the neckline.  See all the fluffy tulle and falling-off fake gemstones? Not a particularly good look for this guy.

I really don't like talking about my flair
I finished this before earnestly beginning the "during" portion of the blog format, so I am bereft of any of those pictures.  This was pretty simple overall, though, so I have confidence that you, my wonderful readers, can follow.  That sentence had a lot of commas in it.  Anyway, I removed the chest fascinator and removed the black trim around the collar.  Not a big fan of "le sac" look, I took the sides in a bit to give it a bit more shape.  I was missing the black accent from the top, so I got some double-folded bias tape from JoAnn's (I know I could do this easily myself, but I haven't gotten there yet) and attached it to the collar.  Here is the final result.
Ready to see Navy Band Southeast perform!
I paired it with a black sash to break up the gobs of color and streamline my waist a bit more, and threw on some Steve Madden mauve shoes.  (Am I an elitist because I pronounce it "mohv"?  Or is it a regional thing?) At any rate, happy to add this to my closet!  (Addendum: I am actually wearing this dress right now at work and loving it.  Definitely a keeper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment