Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Live to Dye Another Day:Strapless Dress Refashion

I got this strapless Old Navy dress at the shop and was not a fan of the color (or lack of color).  I'm accident prone and white clothing is always imperiled on my body.  The dress also was too big on top (as in, it wouldn't stay up...less than ideal).  
Literally keeping it up for decency sake
Time to break out some dye and thread!



Here is a closeup of the material.  It's a cute eyelet-ish fabric and all cotton, so it should take dye pretty awesomely.
Circle-tastic!
I threw this in my washing machine with some salt (makes cotton take more vivid color) and a mix of Scarlet and Fuchsia.  I put it on Bulky so it will be hot water and run for the longest cycle.  After it came out (after a quick rinse with some detergent), I put it on my dress form.
On the fake, headless self (kind of creepy really)
The zipper was on the side, so taking it in on each side was not going to work.  I took some in on the back instead!  Luckily, the amount it needed to be taken in didn't interfere with any of the boning pieces, so a quick zip through the machine and it was good to go!
Casually posing in front of the IKEA panels: Awesome
I wore this for a nice evening in with the husband trying some cocktails from the Classy Ladies.  First, we tried Georgia's Peachy Cocktail (recipe here).  Loved it!  Perfect for summer when Georgia peaches are cheap and sweet!
Sorry for the cruddy iphone pic...weird kitchen lighting
Next up was the NutterFluffer (a cocktail version of the classic Fluffernutter sandwich -- peanut butter and marshmallow fluff, yes please!).  It was sinfully good!  (Sidenote: peanut butter simple syrup on popcorn is maybe the most amazing thing you will put in your mouth for a snack.)  All in all, a fun night in a newly fun dress!
Marshmallow and peanut butter: can't lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment